|Title: Not So Social, Not So Networked: Teens’ Perspectives of Privacy and Trust on Social Media||Title: Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions That Shape Social Media|
|Valerie Steeves is a Full Professor in the Department of Criminology at the University of Ottawa. As the lead researcher of MediaSmarts’ Young Canadians in a Wired World research project, she has been tracking young people’s use of new media since 2000. She is also the principal investigator of The eQuality Project, a seven-year SSHRC-funded partnership exploring young people’s experiences of privacy and equality in networked spaces.||Tarleton Gillespie is a principal researcher at Microsoft Research New England, and an affiliated associate professor in the Department of Communication and Department of Information Science at Cornell University. His new book, Custodians of the Internet: Platforms, Content Moderation, and the Hidden Decisions that Shape Social Media (Yale University Press) was published in June 2018. He is also the author of Wired Shut: Copyright and the Shape of Digital Culture (MIT Press, 2007), the co-editor of Media Technologies: Essays on Communication, Materiality, and Society (MIT, 2014), and the co-founder of the blog Culture Digitally, http://www.culturedigitally.org/.|
Past #SMSociety Keynotes
- Karine Nahon2018 Keynote SpeakerAssociate Professor, the Interdisciplinary Center at Herzliya (IDC), Israel, and an Affiliated Associate Professor at University of Washington
- Lee Rainie2017 Keynote SpeakerDirector of the Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project,
- Ron Deibert2017 Keynote SpeakerProfessor of Political Science, and Director of the Citizen Lab at the Munk School of Global Affairs, University of Toronto.
- Helen Kennedy2016 Keynote SpeakerProfessor of Digital Society, University of Sheffield, UK
- Susan Halford2016 Keynote SpeakerDirector, Web Science Institute, University of Southampton, UK
- William H. Dutton2015 Keynote SpeakerProfessor of Media and Information, Director Quello Center, Michigan State University
- John Weigelt2014 Keynote SpeakerChief Technology Officer (CTO) Microsoft Canada
- Keith N. Hampton2014 Keynote SpeakerAssociate Professor, School of Communication and Information, Rutgers University.
- Sharad Goel2013 KeynoteSenior Researcher, Microsoft Research
- Gilad Lotan2012 KeynoteChief Data Scientist, Betaworks
- Caroline Haythornthwaite2011 KeynoteDirector & Professor, The iSchool, University of British Columbia.
- Barry Wellman2010 KeynoteThe S.D. Clark Professor of Sociology, Director Netlab, University of Toronto